From: "Don Dulmage" <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 5:55 PM
Subject: Brakes 101

> Ok now that i have  vented i have twice help fellows sort out disc brake
conversion. !st most ARE NOT MOPAR stufff but chevy truck. If you want more
brake pressure in relation to pedal effort you need a smaller bore master
cylinder.
> Because we are so conditioned to thinking bigger is always better we get
in trouble this way and so do the people aho make the kits. If you have a 1
inch bore cylinder try a 7.8 bore. pedal travel will increase a bit not not
much but hydraulic pressure will be higher for the same effort.  if we could
bigger pistons in the calipher would do the trick but since wecant a smaller
n bore inthe master must be used.  Put crudly it iwroks like a lever with
mechanical advantahe. If for instance the master could have the same bore as
the cliphers then the only mutiplication would be the machanical advnate in
the pedal assembly.   It is complicated but  the smalker the master bore the
higher the pressure acting on the calipher but also te more travel. Last one
I fixed had been supplied with a 1 (might have been 1 1/16th even)inch bore
GM cylonder and was alsost undrivable as it required too uch pedal effort. I
recognized the forighnn cylinder right away havinfg installedseveral hundred
in my carreer. We went to the local UPS (napa) Store andbought a mopar one
with a 7/8 bore and the brakes worked perfectly ever since. That was Bill
Parsons car and some of you met him at carlise I believe. (Black 64 dodge)
> The other was a duster conversion and for the life of me I dont understand
why they didnt just order the duster caliphers and rotors and master and
such rather than buy some foreign born Chvy truck red calipher piece of
crap. Anyway i explained the stituation onthe phone to the shop. They
didntbelive me and gave up on the car and it never did get fixed.(I dont
think it got driven either as it wasto sacry i heard. ) Anyway. That is how
it works. The biggir the diffeence between the area of the  slaves pistons s
and the master;s piston area with the slave being the bigger  the higher the
mechanical advanyage but the greater the pedal travel at the master.

> Have you air in the lines? How do you tell.
> Pedal is always the same when you stroke it if the system has only fluid.
If it has air you can pump it up.
> A pro mechanic will bleed the brakes then get a good pedal then release
and count to 30. it should be right there again on the first stroke. if not
you have air.
> Don
> Author of
> Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)