antilockas

Antilock BTW do NOT reduce your stopping distance. They alow you to steer. Yes if you locked the wheels up and never let up the antilock would stop faster but I dont, you dont ,and even Mrs Dulmage, knows to pump the pedal in a skid . I dont like having a computer who has no idea what i am dealing with controling my car while i am driving. Especially right at the moment I need that control it is out of  my hands. I hate antilocs even though two of our vehicles have them.
A good driver with good feel of the car and the road can out drive them anyday. We have computerized heaters which when they break cost hundreds to repair. We have antilock brakes so fathers will not have to teach their daughters to pump the pedal if a skid occurs and turn into the skid. (another computer). We have radios that have more complication than the original computers in the land on the moon program. Everywhere we turn some idiot is overcomplicating something that already works perfectly. We had auto trans that actuall said in the owners manual no sevice required for 100,000 miles. Now we have computrized thingys that die in 50000 behind a 150 hp engine. Wheel bearings which used to last 50 or sixty years now are good for 4 if your lucky. We have brake rotors that warp and rust everytime you turn around. We now sit on the floor almost instead of in the seat. People are buying new rads  not covered by warranty 2 and 3 years out.  We have laws to prevent damage in a head on collision at 30 and 60 mph but our cars weigh so much that 35 mpg (Imp or 160 oz gal)is about the limit.   Meanwhile I was lying inder my 63 today installing a set of 355s and a warm feeling came obver me.  Drum brakes, no boost, manual steering, gobs of power and an automatic the sees more abuse in one hard run than a thousand minivans or such would see in a lifetime and never missies a beat. A radio with Knobs and buttons . A pushbutton transmission. To heck with paddles give me buttons anyday. A huge set of tires I can use for rolling my lawn or for a good long smoky burmout. A heater with a couple of vaccum servos. Windows that wind (crank) up and down and have been doing it for 45 yeas without a hitch. A seat that supports my aching back and cradles my pimply bum. Cars have been improved? Not to me they havent. I love my 63 . What the world needs now is a good simple lightweight non computerized car. (Ok you can put one on the fuel injection of you must but that is it.
I used to teach antiloc brake courses for several years to tradsmen. I remember how i started. Anti;ock brakes. You cant stop but you sure and steer!
Wound? ME? Really? I dont think so. Really?
I lll be ok in the morning
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)