RE: Bouchillon Perf, was Max wedge hood scoop

RE: Bouchillon Perf, was Max wedge hood scoop

Sean,

I agree, we do not have to like it. And I also agree, no matter what the
shipping charge is,
the company should be 100% honest about it. Then the customer has the choice
to do business
or not. I have a few years on you in the sales game, double in fact, and
when I started, shipping
was included. Over the years everyone has become accustom to the extra
charge for shipping
and handling. Smart CFO's figured out how to not only make it a profit
center, but also exclude
commissioned sales people out of their part of that profit center. Business
is a brutal world today.
Reminds me of the old Will Rogers story about Customer Service... He was on
the board of directors
of Standard Oil and ask to speak at the annual share holders meeting. The
theme that year was
Customer Service. He opened by saying he grew up on a farm, and the term
customer service
had a different meaning where he came from. He said that every year his dad
took their cow down
to the farmer that had a bull to get her serviced. Just about sums it up.

Earl

Well, that may be, but it is still a little dishonest of businesses that do
this to their customers.  As far as Bouchillon goes, when I nailed her down
on this prior to purchase, she should have fessed up.  There can be no
excuses made for flat out lying to/misleading a customer, who precisely asks
you.  Further, if you need to screw customers on shipping charges to stay in
business, you should simply raise the price, or get out.  As a 20-year
commission salesman, I can tell you one should never, I mean never, mislead
a customer, or hit them with "surprise" charges.
I think what you said is correct in today's world, Earl--but that doesn't
mean I have to like it ;-)

Sean

Earl Helm wrote:

> In today's world of internet marketing, the shipping department is a
> big profit center. I have a friend that has a motorcycle accessory web
> marketing company. Shipping charges account for 50% of his profit.
> Bouchillon probably made 40% on the valve, and 60% on the shipping.
> That is how today's economy works. That is the price we pay for having
> instant access to suppliers all over the world selling to narrow
> vertical markets. Without that profit structure, these suppliers could
> not exist.
>
> Earl
>

> I just bought a heater valve from Bouchillon Performance for $26.  I
> told the girl I was tired of getting ripped off for "handling"
> charges, and she assured me it "wouldn't be much, cuz we don't do that
> to our customers".  Well, she charged me $14 to ship this light,
> little $26 part, from South Carolina to New York.  I called her back,
> and she said "How much do you think it costs to put that part in a
> box?"  I kid you not.

----
topic.  Thanks!

----