Latest work

Rich Kinsley  '64 Polara 4 dr 318poly w/goodies

Hi Guys,

I am retired now and have begun to have some time to actually work on my
'64 Dodge Polara. My cousin was here from Lakewood, CA, and he is a very
good mechanic. I am not happy yet with the performance of my poly so we
tweaked some more on it. We raised the timing about 5deg and changed the
metering rod springs. It did seem to liven it up a bit. He says it does
sound like it needs more advance and I'm sure he's right. I'm afraid I
may need to continually use octane booster or find some pricey higher
octane gas. The best I can get on the street is 92 octane. Right now
with Royal Purple Octane booster it's not pinging or dieseling. We idled
it down to about 600rpm's. I had to repair the top tank on the radiator
again as it had overheated and stressed it to the point of splitting the
seam on the top tank. I bought a B&M trans cooler which I haven't
installed yet and an offset 7 blade 18" Flexlight fan. I will get a
shroud also. It is already running cooler. I imagine my bogus timing
before could've been at least part of the overheating problem.

I'm starting to get going on the rear-end swap but I may try a few more
passes with the 2:76 rear just to see how the tuning improvements are
going. I gotta get serious with the dist next and try to get the curve
working right. Gosh, us retired guys are busy.

----