Re: 64 Sport Fury B Body rear axle play

On 05 07/14/07, Willard Edison wrote:
> 2 These old axles adjust with .005" shims if the axles are too long, but my
> axles seem to be too short. If I drive the bearing cups in till they stop,
> there is no end play between the axles, which is as it should be. Then, I
> take a rubber hammer and drive the right axle out as far as I can by hitting
> the end of the left axle. Per the service manual, I'm supposed to use shims
> to take up the space (to specs) that the bearing cup is pushed out of the
> axle housing on the right side. Problem is, the bearing cup on the right
> side is not pushed out of the axle housing and I have too much end play on

so, to clarify,  when you tap one axle in and install the backing
plate,  does the other axle push out too far?

or is it the case that both axles fit in the housing, and once the
backing plates are installed there is too much end play?

with early  8-3/4s" (pre-64), there is a thrust block issue that makes
using the SG or 64 and later non-SG rearend a problem with 63 and earlier
non-SG axles and housings.

Doug

----