RE: Regulators and Resistors

Hi Jim,

The voltage regulator on the firewall has nothing to do with the
ignition system.  I changed my mechanical regulator out for an
electronic unit that looks like the original.

The voltage regulator on the instrument circuit board maintains a
conostant 5 volts to the guages.  It has nothing to do with the charging
system.

The ballast resistor drops the battery voltage to the ignition system so
the points do not burn out.  During cranking the ballast resistor is
bypassed so that the coil gets the full power for the start.

I hope that clears up some of the mystery.

Have fun,

K.

Jim Ozolins wrote:

> I have been reading about ways to build an electronic voltage regulator
> for
> my dashboard gauges, and that seems pretty straightforward, although my
> Valiant has it integrated with the fuel gauge IIRC.
>
> Also, there is a voltage regulator in the engine compartment. Is an
> electronic replacement advisable on a points-ignition car? If there's a
> benefit, I may go that way. Otherwise, I'll get a spare to pop into the
> glove box.
>
> The ballast resistor on the firewall; what exactly does this do? Is it
> change voltage during cranking? I know that you're stranded if it fails,
> so
> again, one for the glove box.
>

> I want to ward off any electrical demons in my Valiant, and it would be
> cool
> to have constant voltage to my gauges, and lose that clicking.
>

> Any info would be appreciated here.
> I do plan on reading my owner's manual tonight, also, as I need to learn
> as
> much as possible...
>

> thanks
> Jim Ozolins

> Picture this ? share your photos and you could win big!
> http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)