Mobil 1 in trans

yesj hI kow ir t sounds like I am contadictingmu yself but yes we use Mobil 1 ATF in all our race trans. different enviorment. No pu ounding no scuffing to speak  just a rotary motion and  gobs of heat.
So here for those who missed it is my trans story or how I became a believer in Mobil 1 ATF (I dont really wr orry about the brand just want synthetic. )
One day long ago now I was runnng our Getting vicious charger with my nephew. We were on a heavy race schedule and about every three weeks had to pop the trans out and replace the most forward high clutch drom sealing ring and servce the high clutch. We got sowe could tell when it wa going by our MPh and so prevented any serious failures by watching for the tell tail sign. One day Mike Priest an engineer for Mobil  stopped by with the local Esso dealer who was sponsoring us. Mike was obviuosly also a racer . he asj ked a few questions about the morotr and claerances and stuff then said right out of the blue. do you ever have problems with the igh clutch drum to staor support sealing rings. We ll i replied yes . We watch the mo ph a service it as soon as we see the charchterisic drop in MPH. What else have you done he asked. I related that we had tried several different rings and had best success with special stainless from Tubro Actions.  "have you ever thought of using sthetic trand oil in your trans. " I relied in my charcteristic opinionated way. " I am not real big on that crap" He roelied " Well don that may be but aluminum melts at between 1200 and 1300 degrees and Mobil 1 syntetic ATF is stable to 1600 degrees so unlesss you trans has b melted and run out on the ground it will be protected." I thought about this for a long tme. Next time i serviced the hogh clutch stff. I decided to take the challenge and spend the $80 for syntetic trans fluid. Five years later i was still running that trans untouched and when i went to service it with and adjustments even theyw ere ok despite the abuse it was taking. I raced it until I broke a rear sprague and uon taling it aprt found nothing worn otherwise so I installed the bolt in sprag am nd put it back together same sealing rings and all. Far as i know it is still going strong. I guess the giy sop poke my language and obviously know his stuff. Anyway all my shop cars have used Synthetic ATF since and i cant recall the last time we had to sevice a trans. it has been a few years.. That is why i use it in my trans. As for the engine thing as you might have iluded from Earls email, everything would suggest they would be great there except it doesnt seem to work that way. Earl is right by the way the additives are way down on modern oils which aggravates the problem .I always fascinates me how Earl and i come at problems from different directions but more often than not arrive at the same conclusions.
Me i am totally results oriented. I will read the literature and study the reports but i want to see it born out in field testing. So far in the racing enviorenment with syn engine oils it hasnt worked out. The trans though is a whole different deal. As that famous sports broadcaster used to say, "I just call them the way i see em"
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)