Trans dust shield query

Hi guys

Another question for the kind people out in 62-65 land!

Whilst checking our trans for obvious signs of what could be causing our vibrations (still none the wiser, by the way, but that's another story), I noticed our dust shield has some witness marks on the inside face, inline with the flex plate bolts (see attached pic, marked 'A'). These are (I'm 99.9% sure) caused by the flex plate bolts as they seem to be on the right bolt circle diameter to come into contact with the dust shield where the marks are.

It got me wondering whether the flex plate bolts on a smaller diameter converter like ours (3000rpm) are on a smaller bolt circle diameter than on a standard converter? It looks like the pressed shape of the shield is made so that the bolts normally rotate on a diameter that is in line with the pressed groove? (see pic, marked 'B')

I know some people dont bother using the dust shield, for one reason or another, but if it's worth trying to keep it, I was thinking we could flatten the area marked 'C' so that it is level with the 'groove' 'B' and provides some clearance for the rotating bolts. We could then trim off the top area 'D' so that it doesn't foul with the engine sump when bolted back on.

Any ideas?

Click to see pic: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rob426uk/detail?.dir=/5b3cscd&.dnm=b6cfscd.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phpVRRGBJimX24aM

Thanks in advance. Update on pushbutton adjustment to follow!

Regards

Robert
England

----