Re: 440 swaps

Ken,
   Here it what it says from my service manual:"The manufacture only
recommends API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of
DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Use Mopar or an equivalent
oil meeting the specification MS-6395."
   SAE 5W-30 is the preferred oil for Dodge Trucks with
3.7L/4.7L/5.7L engines.
   As for Synthetic Oils, quote from the maintenance manual: "There
are a number of engine oils being promoted as either synthetic or
semi-synthetic. If you choose to use such a product, use ONLY those
oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) and SAE
viscosity standard.
   It doesn't give a lot of leeway on the Viscosity Chart, only
option is 10W-30 and does list a bunch of road conditions, that if
applied to your driving habits, the oil and filter does need to be
changed ever 3,000 miles.
   When I bought my Ram, I purchased a oil/filter package for $176,
it is good for 33 oil and filter changes. Figures out to be $5.33 per
change. Good to 99,000 miles, so mine is covered, though the extended
warranty. :-)
   So to answer your question, NO special oil is needed, just needs
to meet the SAE and API standards, whether it is regular or
synthetic.
   Hope this answered your question?

Dennis

--- KEN KINMAN <ken.kinman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it true the 5.7s take a special engine oil not a standard 10w30
> or 5w30
> oil?

----

bSONJP.