RE: castcrank 440 dampeners

Hi all- I have a 1979 ( cast crank) motorhome 440 here sitting on my
shop floor doing nothing. I had it running in a car at one point, it
seemed  to run very good and according to the guy i bought it from it
had only about 85,000 miles, i want to use it for something. I have some
915 closed chambers i could bolt on to bump up the compression.
   BUT-   I am wondering about the front balancer-  it looks really
   weird, a very strange looking donut type thing  , with an even
   stranger looking pulley .   The pulley  sticks way out on these weird
   little "legs"
  will a different pullley bolt to this  balancer or  am i stuck with
  that  style pulley??  yeah sure it works as it is but its  just so
  weird looking it  bugs me.
  thanks, neal zimmerman, eugene Oregon

I'm not sure if a motorhome 440 has a specific cast crank damper. I noted in messing with a cast crank 440 out of a C body that it did have a damper with the eccentric weight built into it, AND that it did accept the regular pulleys I needed to use from an earlier steel-crank motor. Even though the damper appeared thicker, the depth of the pulley mounting face was the same as an earlier damper.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

----