Re: Re: Travel (lot)

Growing up with my Dad meant always working on the car ourselves.
It wasn't every weekend or anything like that but tune ups, oil changes, brakes; we would do together; and I loved every minute of it. Even as I got to my teenage rebellious years, it was something held sacred and we always put aside our differences when it came to the car. Then he gave me my first car, it was my Mother's 65 Belvedere I, 4 door taxi package, 225, 3 on the tree. I, being the oldest, learned to drive on it and so did my remaining 4 brothers and sisters until she got racked up too many times and we junked her.

My point being, these cars are timeless and so are our affections for them and what more perfect way to share time and memories with your kids then to teach them and spend time with them even just talking over your project. I was even told about the birds and the bees on a creeper with my Dad under the Belv changing the muffler and tailpipe. I think that work we started around 8 on a Saturday morning after going out for parts and I remember my Mother calling us in for church and we hadn't even finished. We just talked a lot while we were working. We ALWAYS had lunch at the car, dirty hands and all, bologna sandwiches and chips. Yummy!!

My Dad doesn't drive too much anymore, he vision is starting to go on him but last summer in Maine, he drove my 65 Belv with the top down into town (and me with the white knuckles this time) and we all went for ice cream. He even popped the hood in the parking lot thinking he heard a tappet or maybe a compression leak. Just like the old days! I have very warm memories of those days working on our cars, he was a Plymouth man and had
nothing but Mopars from a Savoy to the Belv to many Furies.
He still has several tune up kits over his workbench at home even today he wants me to take.

Sorry for the little divergence and putting up with my self-indulgence but again, my point was (is) this is a great hobby to share with your kids. I encourage you to pursue and find that special project car, learn and teach your kids how to figure things out for themselves. The rewards will come back to you, nevermind the friends you'll make, memories you'll
make, and joy you'll have in driving a piece of history.

Get that car Harold, whether it's the 4 door 64 or whatever. Tell your wife they're going to get dirty and it's OK to eat lunch with greasy hands, the food tastes better! My sisters used to do the glass when we washed her, with bon ami and
newspaper.  Everybody helps.

Tom Duross
Boston

----