RE: Engine RPM at highway speed

2200 rpm at 62mph sounds pretty low to me Brian. I have a 426 4-spd in a
64 Polara with 3:23 suregrip and mine runs about 3000 rpm at 65 with a
275/60/15 tire, which is a bit taller than yours. If yours is correct,
then I guess I better double check mine. I want to install 3:73 gears,
but if mine IS correct, I would be running over 3500 rpm at 65.
Jeff
Brian Schlump wrote:

> I'm puzzled by the difference in engine RPM with my 2 cars, that each
> have a 3.23 Sure Grip.  I usually drive at 62 mph on the 2 lane roads in
>
> our area.  My '64 Belvedere has a 426 Max Wedge with a 4 speed
> transmission and P245/60/15  rear tires.  It tachs at 2,200 rpm at 62
> mph.  I recently had a '68 Charger restored and it has a 440 engine with
>
> a 727 big block transmission and F70/15 tires.  It tachs at 3,300 rpm at
>
> 62 mph.  I've checked the rpm on both cars with a second tach and I've
> had my wife follow me in her new car to verify that I'm doing 62 in each
>
> one.  The 727 was rebuilt as part of the restoration.  It shifts through
>
> all gears and downshifts into 2nd when I hit passing gear on the
> highway.  The fluid hasn't discolored in 600 miles, and doesn't smell
> burnt.  Today the restoration shop installed a new converter, but that
> had no impact on the rpm at highway speed.   Does anyone else have a 727
>
> with a 3.23 rear end combo?  If so, what engine rpm do you run at
> highway speeds?  Any other ideas?
> Brian
>
> '64 Belvedere
> Woodstock, IL.
>
> "The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little
> extra."

Jeff Adams
64 Polara

----