RE: Poly Redline

Bill Maurits wrote:

> What's the redline for a 318 poly? I really want to put a tach in my
> Coronet, but I DON'T want to pay hunderds of dollars for a factory
> unit. I like the idea of the Moon half-sweep tach that someone posted,
> but I've also been looking for a similar style vintage unit on ebay. I
> found one that's very nice looking, but it's only a 5,000 rpm unit.
> Not that I buzz or even plan to buzz my 318 on a regular basis, but if
> I do happen to get on it hard, is 5,000 RPM gonna be enough? or should
> I go for an 8,000 RPM unit?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill M
> 65 Coronet 500 'vert

Awhile back either Don D or Gary P (I believe) gave a formula to figure
redline. I figured mine using it and with my cam it came out to 5275rpm.
That seems kinda low to me but the formula for solid lifters, like a
poly, was: cam deg @ .050 times 23.54 .
There is a different multiplier for hydraulics which is a little smaller
as I recall.

Rich Kinsley  '64 Polara 4 dr 318poly w/goodies

----

bSONJP.