Re: headers vs. manifolds

[AD removed for archives]
caaedmqbOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

As to heat, header tubes will usually have thinner walls than stock
manifiolds, so they will more quickly transmit heat into the engine compartment.  The
thicker metal of the stock manifolds tends to hold the heat inside more,
transferring it out of the compartment.

As to the sound level, this involves several variables, such as the diameters
of the header tubes and exhaust pipes, and kinds of mufflers.  All influence
the sound levels.  The level of sound is actually a measurable pressure that
you can read with a decibel meter.  The greater the pressure (higher dB
number), the greater the movement of the air waves, which your ears interpret as
louder.

Generally, the bigger the header tubes and exhaust pipes (mine are 2" and
3"), the louder the car will be.  While the usual effort in paying for larger
tubes and pipes is better flow of air, and since engines are basically air pumps,
you usually get better power.

Proper insulation efforts can control the sound inside the car, but in my
case, being a bit deaf anyway, from firearms and jet fighters exposure, I like to
hear the old 495 stroker working.  Let the Volvo drivers suffer!

I should, as a safety guy, say there are sound levels that are damaging to
your ears.  If anybody in SoCal wants to know how loud their car is, I have a
decibel meter, will be happy to measure if we can get together.  Damaging levels
can either be instantaneous at very high sound pressures, or at lower levels
over a long time duration.

Dammit, preaching again, but I mean well.......