452 346

[AD removed for archives]
caad3p7bOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

346 is fine as well as 452, also both good performers when modified. have done many 346 for motors with bigger valves in cut in the stock castings. Have never had even one give trouble.
The valve seat recession does not seem to be as big a problem BTW as it once was. Whether it is the refomulated gas or the fact that we are often using valves of different metals, (ie stainless which we now always use here) or what but it has been quite while since i saw a set of severely damaged exhaust valve seats like we used to see when it first became a problem. i havent had the time to chase all the facts down so I am only postualing at the moment . We do put hardened ex seats in 906s (if we cant get the customer to run 452s or 346s) I also put them in all X heads for the small blocks.
It is interesting to note also that my max wedge heads are as produced without special seats and still working fine on unleaded after some 20,000 miles or wonderful, hard, abusive, driving. That is what leads  me to think the gas may be slightly improved in this area but it is, to be truthful, at the moment, little more than a guess.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)