Steering Shaft install tip

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadVJYbOyW3Na/Nexiderm

I was having trouble reinstalling my steering shaft into my column. I
have converted form power to manual steering and in doing so needed to
change the shaft over to the manual unit.

Well, I couldnt get the snap ring that holds the shaft in at the top.
There was never enough clearance. I couldnt get the shaft into the upper
bearing enough to get the ring on. At first I thought it was a
shaft/bearing difference. so I disassembled it completely. I found that
the bearing has a rubber mounting ring around it to hold it into the
upper column, but also to allow it some movement laterally. This ring
was split on the bottom and was hanging down preventing the lower snap
ring from coming all the way up to the bearing. So after scrounging
around to find another upper bearing and installing it, I thought I was
done.

No so. I still couldnt get the shaft in all the way.

The trick is, to install the bearing onto the shaft BEFORE installing
the bearing into the upper column. Although this isnt the way I
disassembled the shaft, its the only way to get it to go in. IF you try
to tap the shaft in, you will only pull the "T" bolts out of the column
tube, forcing you to start all over. You can take a large 13/16 1/2
drive socket and use it at a drift to install the bearing onto the
shaft. (tap lightly) then install the snap ring, then install the shaft
into the column.

Hope this help anyone else doing a similiar change over. Threw me for a
curve.

Doc.

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
caadV2bbOyW3Nf/Amazing phone

----

bOyW3N.