RE: sure grips

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caac8usa/ProductTestPanel

there are clearly to camps on this list,

doc makes an excellent point on the quality of the auburn posi
over the clutch style,
the clutch is definetly better for a race set-up, as can be seen
by the price.

i get the feeling, the majority of people on this list are not racing
there cars to often, in that context the auburn units are very good
cheaper alternatives.

at most swaps i have seen the 742's about 100 to 150 higher
than the 489's, these are usually pulled right out of the rear.
and probably need a rebuild.

my car get gets double duty, and though the auburn units never have
a problem locking up on the street, with slicks at the track, if there
is not enough water in the box, they may not lock-up.

sure this has been long winded, but the moral of the story
is, as with anything you get what you pay for,

tom

ntolerance <ntolerance@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The clutch type sure grips were modeled after the Dana 60 powerlock
unit. I believe Dana may have even built them for Chrysler. They even
share a few parts between the two units.

The Cone type , or Auburn units are not as durable. Although you can
shim and mill them to get them to work again, they are a grenade waiting
to happen after such work. (seen it done, the track guys get all mad
when you slick down the staging lanes with gear oil) Certain earlier GM
"posis" used a similiar system. Even though its not as strong, its
better than GM's Gov-loc (govenor lock, figure that one out.)

Still I think the question was whats an E body 3.91 Sg rear worth?
Asuming it is a 489 case and its an E body axle ( e body is unique ) its
still worth a decent chunk of change. I have seen some go for over $500
complete. (or more depending on condition) This is a swap meet price,
ePay may get more. People seem to think that having the 489 case is
stronger and better for higher hp cars. This is somewhat true, but not
if it has a cone type s/g unit. You can put a clutch type into any 489,
742 or 741 case (there are limits to this, such as very early cases).

The "crush sleeve" ( found in a 489 case )in my opinion is a piece of
crap set up. Shims are much better, although they can take longer to set
up.

Doc.

tom hecht wrote:

> you can also add shims, this pushes the cone
> closer . i beleive this can be done a couple times.
> this makes it cheaper to rebuild than the clutch type,
>
> there could be some argument
> about the lock-up quality from one to the other though.
>
> tom
>
> "Gary B." wrote:
>
> That is correct, about it being the cone type, but they can be somewhat
> rebuilt by having about .080 milled off the back of the side gears and
> adding springs from a transmission clutch pack. It will make them work
> for a
> while longer. Gary Bradshaw Ft. Worth, Texas
>
> "I used to have a handle on life, but it
> broke"

caac8usbOgXg2f/ProductTestPanel

----