From: Gary H.
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 8:12 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: cam in my 383

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE* Portable Satellite Radio - yours to keep! Click Here!
caac8uybOlZxua/Portable Satellite Radio Promotion

My understanding is that too big of an exhaust results in lost
performance, and mufflers have come a long way since glasspacks. You can
get straight through without the noise consequence or wear of
glasspacks.

For example: "Exhaust pipe sizes are a subject unto themselves, but here
are a few general guidelines from a man who knows. Although many
subscribe to the "huge is best" theory of pipe selection, Jones points
out that bigger is not necessarily better, and this is coming from a man
with an impressive engineering and manufacturing background. Jones
advises that while pipes that are too small can increase backpressure,
they must not be so large that gas velocity drops off. Fast moving
gasses help evacuate the cylinders, which is often referred to as the
scavenging effect. And while larger pipes may reduce backpressure (the
industry standard is 2.8 lbs with 1.8 to 2.2 lbs believed to be the
optimum), Jones points out that oversize pipes will result in lower
exhaust gas velocity, which reduces the scavenging effect, which reduces
low-end torque."  http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0204sr_exhaust/
and

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Theory/theory.html

You could go with DynoMAX Super Turbo Performance Mufflers or even stock
mufflers. Want to race? Open up those cut outs. :-)

Gary H.

Ben Jr. Morgan wrote:

> I just entered a Metal Technology class (its a welding and fabricating
> class basically) at the high school. I'm planning an exhaust system for
> the 64 wagon. I'm thinking 3" exhaust with cut outs behind the headers,
> glass packs, and chrome angled tips turned sideways to dump flush with
> the body in front of the wheels. (dumping in front of the wheels may be
> illegal on the street, but they have to catch me first ;)) What do you
> wrench heads think?

[AD removed for archives]