Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:06:30 EST
From: Joeydahook9@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 440 engine ID
Also, most of the police motors had roller timing chains and power steering coolers mounted on the pump. Joe

list:

Not saying it ain't so...but two 68 Police Furys I've owned had plastic cam gears.

The police engine, at least Az Highway Patrol, were 350 hp 440s. Log style
exhaust manfold no exhaust "H-pipe" and a "broomstick" cam ...( as we called it).
Wonderful idle and about 18" of manifold vacuum.

Also their blocks usually had a maltese cross and an "x" stamped by the engine ID.
That signified undersize main and rod journals.

The 65 Fury 1, also a police car i owned, had metal gears but not a roller.

When my 69 charger rt ruined an engine because of plastic teeth in the oil strainer, i
couldn't believe mopar would do something as stupid as using plastic cam sprockets
in a high performance engine.

I think it is a stupid idea still.

Grumpy Jenkins used plastic gears in his race engines to dampen harmonics , but a
race engine that's torn down regularly is not the same thing.

The only factory timing chain rollers i have seen are in hemis, 6-packs, 340s ,
motorhomes (318), and an industrial engine (318). We did our dakota 318 magnum
a few years ago and i can't remember if it had a roller, it does now as does anything
we work on.

We may try a gear setup on the maxsat project.

I had a friend that had an ex-county sherriff's car, huge alternator, and the power steering cooler.

so...the models of your police cars may vary

rob lipinski

Happy Holidays to all...and THANKS FOR THIS LIST...

[AD removed for archives]
Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
caacZpwb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----