RE: Headers vs. manifolds

[AD removed for archives]
Get 4 Free low-fat, low-carb recipes
caacOlyb7yoMza/PermissionData

Jeff,

Yes, but when you say Wedge, then I assume that your talking about
Max Wedge type of heads. Max Wedge heads have raised ports that
are 5/8" higher than stock 413-440 heads. If wedge in your world means
413 or 440, then your right on.

Earl

The 426 is actually a bored 413 and will have 413 heads with some port
work, so I assume most headers will fit. Thanks for the info on
manifolds, Oh-be-wan!
Jeff
Earl Helm wrote:

> [...]

> double check it.
>
> Earl
>

> Engine is totally stock except for cam and headers with over 100k on
> it,
>
> heads were redone stock. Carb is original 4bbl. I don't mind spending
> the money on good gaskets, but only if they will fix the leak. Another

> issue is this only a temporary engine, as I plan on building a more
> serious 426w I already have and installing TTI headers with THAT
motor,
> so I don't want to put a lot of money into the 413. Can you mill the
> flange at home Earl? Thanks.
> Jeff
> Earl Helm wrote:
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > It depends on your carb. If your running an older Afb or Holly, then
> > the headers will be very effective. They will be a good increase
over
> > stock manifolds anyway.
> >
> > One reason headers are so effective with these engines is that the
> > carbs naturally tend to be on the rich side because they are not the

> > worlds best technology. So the headers help scavenge quite well and
> > improve performance in the older engines much more that the new
ones.

> > A couple of suggestions. Take your old headers off and either mill
> > the
>
> > flange or straighten it. It is not as hard as you think. I would
> > also
> > suggest investing 30 bucks in Copper gaskets for the headers. They
> > will last a lifetime, and not leak.
> >
> > Earl
> >

> > I'd like some opinions on headers vs manifolds on a mild 413 in a 64

> > Polara. I have an old set of headers that I can't get to stop
> > leaking
> at
> >
> > the head. It's probably a bent center flange, but I've had 4
> > different sets of gaskets in it, both header and stock steel
> > gaskets. What I'd like to know is how much performance difference
> > there is between the two. Right now I have a used 413 4bbl, 509 cam,

> > headers/Flowmasters
> with
> >
> > an H pipe. I'm considering going back to the stock manifolds from
> > the 413, which is out of a 65 Imperial. What do you guys think? Jeff
> >

> Jeff Adams
> 64 Polara
>
> [AD removed for archives]
> Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
> Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
> Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
> caacOlPbV1hOjf/LeadClick
>
> ----
> directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
> negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
> recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
> protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune
> the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

Jeff Adams
64 Polara

[AD removed for archives]
Claim your companion air fare now!
caacOk9bV1hOjf/PermissionData

----
directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
caacOlKb7yoMzf/OmahaSteaks

----

b7yoMz.