Re: Intake manifold on ebay

[AD removed for archives]
Like music? Get a CD Player here
caacOk8b7yoMza/PermissionData

On 30 11/03/04, Robert Gideon wrote:
> I was wondering about item 5400844353 on eBay.  It's an old cast iron intake
> for a '70s 400.  I was thinking about picking it up for my 361 build.  It's
> not the best intake in the world, I realize that, but the price is better
> than a new Edelbrock manifold.  I'd also pick up a used Carter Thermoquad to
> rebuild for it.
>
> Now to the question: Are these intakes (casting # 3830949) single or dual
> plane?  Wasn't sure because of the division where the carb mounts.

dual plane.  the 400 intakes flowed very well. there was a progression
in the performance capability of factory intakes from the 50s through
the 70s.  each new design flowed a little better than the previous.

the factory 400 intake you see there is an EGR intake.  you'd have to
either block it off, or find an EGR valve to fit it.

the Thermoquads are not for the faint of heart.  they can be difficult
to get to run correctly and rebuild kits and parts are drying up fast.
lots of the plastic center sections have problems (now that they are
all 20-30 years old!).  I used to run one on my 74 Satellite cop car
until about 15 years ago,  they I gave my Thermobogs to a Cordoba guy
who fought them on his daily driver for several years....  most
recently, a good friend struggled with several Thermobogs on his Karyvan
going through 3-4 built out of the best parts of 6-7 Thermoquads.
Eventually, he had to ditch them and install an Autozone bought Q-jet
(!!) just a few days prior to a trip from GA->Carlisle->Buffalo->GA.

Also look for 60s 383 intakes. they are "squarebore" intakes and will
accept a Holley 4160 or a Edelbrock style AVS/AFB.   Holley had
spread-bore carbs to fit the manifold you are looking at.

Doug Ahern
Athens, GA

[AD removed for archives]
Free recipes to get you in shape