Re: new to list; looking for Max Wedge

[AD removed for archives]
Do you love your country? Get a Free USA T SHIRT click here to receive your gift.
caacDvPb7yoMza/PermissionData

To throw in another .02 worth regarding values, as one of the mopar magazine writers recently pointed out, the early B bodies will probably soften first in this current spike in values, before later B bodies and E bodies for sure. I suspect this is because some of the pricing right now, just like in, what, 1989 or thereabouts, was driven by "investors", not Mopar guys or even musclecar guys. Heck, everyone knows what a "Cuda" is, most know what a Challenger or Roadrunner is, and thanks to Ma Mopar for the recent advertising, now everyone knows what a "hemi" is, so that's what the investors go for when they don't really know or care about Mopars as cars. Next, such types generally don't want project cars, but only finished cars, at least #3 condition (using the conservative Hemmings-style ratings now, not inflated eBay descriptions).

My max wedge car is one of three "known to exist" according to Govier; that is, one of three '62 Sport Fury max wedge hardtops. One of the others has been knocking around for a few years now, offered for sale, languishing, eventually selling I understand, then offered again by the new owner with no takers, etc. The asking price has been $7500 for a rolling shell. Now, I've actually seen copies of the Govier decoding paperwork for that car, which in comparing the paperwork to my own, does look authentic to me. The data plate was present, the car was missing the engine, trans, the correct max perf hood (had a standard hood), and had a '63 instrument panel for a while instead of '62, which is easily corrected. In the pictures I saw, both from the fellow who offered it to me after viewing my sections of our '62-'65 website, and the later eBay pictures, the car is pretty solid. I don't know all the details, but it took several years, as I understand it, to sell once at that price, then when it was later offered on eBay, it didn't sell on the auction (although it was not relisted quickly, so there may have been a deal off-line for a lower price). Heck, maybe a list member acquired it, and if so, I'd love to know the details.

I realize that the '62 B has a more quirky appearance than '63, '64, and '65s, as far as desireability with the general investing public, but still, I would think that the price, for a real and documented max wedge car, was pretty reasonable.

By contrast, as some list members may recall, I offered my '68 hemi Roadrunner for sale last year, in disassembled condition with the body ready for paint and assembly, with non-matching hemi, trans, and Dana. I advertised it for a couple of months on Moparts.com, and got many inquiries, some jack legs and some serious, and sold it for what I considered a good price, actually making money over the total amount I'd spent on the car including purchase price, buying parts, etc. The buyer was an acquaintance, so I was able to observe when he decided only three months later that he'd bitten off more than he could chew, as he was also in the midst of paying for a concours type resto on his '69 1/2 Super Bee six pack car. He put the car back up for sale, again on Moparts.com, and in the first month, sold it to a Florida fellow for $3000 more than he paid me for it. He felt he probably still asked too little, as the guy drove up with a trailer, going only on pictures, 800 miles, with cash in hand and did not dicker on arrival. Either one of us could have finished up and assembled the car and gotten substantially more, but my point is it sold quickly, twice, for good prices in its disassembled state.

I'm not griping about it, I think it is just a fact of life, for the reasons I've mentioned, that our early B's don't inflate like some of the other Mopars.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'56 Chrysler Windsor; '60 Chrysler Saratoga; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '72 Cuda '340

[AD removed for archives]
Click here and walk away with your free Chevy collectible.
caacDvMb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.