Re: Harmonic Balancers

[AD removed for archives]
Do you love your country? Get a Free USA T SHIRT click here to
receive your gift.
caacDvPb7yoMza/PermissionData

> Can I ask a general question for the folks?
> I'm a little confused as to the application and use of a fluid
> filled
> balancer.
> I realize the benefits of a balanced crank and obviously it's
> rewards at
> most engine speeds.
> Are these some sort of cure all?  Are they a bolt-on remedy for a
> shaking
> engine?
> Are there certain engines that came with them as stock?
> Cast vs. forged applications?
> OK, a few questions but I see them for sale all the time.
> Thanks,
> Tom Duross
Speaking from a limited knowledge base, I'd like to help explain some of
this question.
 1 The added weight put on the front of a crankshaft is to help "balance"
the torque applied to the crankshaft from the rods, furthest away from
the main flywheel. In effect, a second flywheel. This helps keep the
crankshaft from twisting and messing up the index of the throws. It also
may have another counterweight cast into it to help with balancing, that
was unable to be accomplished with the crank throws. ie cast crank in a
360, or 400.
 2 Harmonics, are vibrations, caused by the jolting of the pistons and
rods and rotation of the crankshaft. A factory "harmonic balancer" is a
tuning ring, that dampens the vibrations from certain RPM ranges, quite
well, but not the extremes that a race engine may encounter. The factory
unit may work well up to say, 5000 RPM, but start to intensify the
vibration from there on up. Because most dampners have a rubber isolator
between the outer ring weight, and the inner hub, to help with the
"harmonics" they can come apart at high speeds, and become projectiles.

 The liquid filled dampners allow the fluid to reposition through the RPM
range, to better resist harmonic disturbances, helping the engine stay
together at speed.  The dampners are made from steel, rather than cast
iron, so they are also stronger, and alot less likely to come apart.
 NO, these are not miracle, bolt on fixes, to a engine out of balance. I
don't know if any engines have come "stock" with a liquid filled dampner,
but have heard from members of the list, that their engines came without
a dampner at all. These applications seemed to be of low expected RPM
usage. There has also got to be a learning curve involved with all
manufacturers, and these engines were when they learned better!
 So the moral of this story is, is it a "balancer" or a "dampner" or a
little bit of both?     Tom in Dallas

[AD removed for archives]
Are Americans getting fat? Give us your opinion and win.
caacDvYb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.