From: Earl Helm <earlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: discouraged in florida. sort of long.
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:35:07 -0600

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
caaccMMb7IeFNa/ Sharebuilder

Andy,

I feel your pain. Doing a complete resto on a car that far gone can
be a real pain. First it is lots of work, second you need the tools to
do it. If you don't have the tools, then it will twice as expensive as
you think by the time you get through buying them, or having someone
else do the work. Remember rust is like ants, where there is one,
there are 100 more you don't see.

Plus there is the time. Mark my words, "It will take at least twice if
not
three times as long as you think, and cost many times more". If that
is what you want to do, then it is cool. But many times it is better to
save your money and get a new rust free girl friend to fall in love
with.

I have done it both ways, and I much prefer to get the best car I can
afford to start with after doing it both ways. This emotional attachment
we get to cars is hard to explain to people who don't have the bug,
I guess it is like climbing a mountain, (which I don't get). Sometimes
it is hard to get your head to tell your heart what to do. Just get a
pad of paper and start a plus and minus column, and try to
figure it out.

Earl

Here's a question for the older, wiser, more experienced heads on this
list. I love my '62 dart 440, no ifs ands or buts. Her name's Ramona. I
got back to florida this summer planning to roll up my sleeves and give
her the total body overhaul she desperately needs.

BUT. Because of the rust/corrosion, even a comparably simple operation
like removing a front fender to sandblast becomes complicated--bolts are

frozen, breaking off, and--the worst--in some cases the rust has
disfigured the fittings to the point where, rather than the bolts
unscrewing, the fitting breaks free of its weld and the bolts just turn.

There's major rust-through on the following areas--front of the floor
pan, passenger side front quarter panel, passenger side rear quarter
panel, and there's almost nothing left of the trunk floor at all, just a

big, gaping, jagged hole. Alarmingly, the fuel and brake lines, which i
installed less than a year ago and which are treated steel, have aready
begun to show signs of oxodizing.

She also has mechanical problems in the transmission (stuck in 1st gear
and leaking), the differential/driveshaft is oxodized--basically the
only thing that's holding up the way it should be is the 318 engine,
which I worked on last summer hoping to get the car out to New Mexico
and a drier, more steel-friendly climate and finish the job at my
leisure. That's proven impossible.

My question is basically this--when do problems piling on top of
problems become too much? based on my description, is she salvageable or

should i start parting her out while the body's in at least a partial
state of disassembly and before she's a pile of brown dust? I would
appreciate the benefit of you guys' experience & candid responses.

thanks,
andy.

NEW Heat-sensitive Hypercolor Thinking Putty from Crazy
Aaron comes in grown up handfuls. It's the creativity
unleashing, desk toy that changes color when you touch it!
caachWvbV1hOjf/ Crazy Aaron's Puttyworld

----
directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
caaccMVb7IeFNf/ ExpertCity

----

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro provides your organization with instant remote access to email,files, applications and network resources in real time. FREE TRIAL:
caaccMSb7yoMzf/ ExpertCity

----

b7yoMz.