Poly intakes discussed

Your opinion counts! We?re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
caab6Pib7yoMza/ Val Rad
Polyheads,
The Weiand intake is a single plane design which reduces torque and throttle
response in stock or near stock motors while operating under 3500rpm.
The stock cast iron intake is a dual plane design which dramatically
improves torque and throttle response in stock motors; be it a two barrel or
four barrel manifold.
Stock motors do not operate much above 5000rpm and need the dual plane
design for street driveability.
However, the stock cast iron four barrel intake will be a good strip
performer for the average street/strip Poly as well.
The Weiand single plane will need a larger cam, headers, and low rear end
gears to restore and improve the torque lost over a dual plane.  It serves
the four barrel purpose when one does not have the OEM dual plane four
barrel intake.
Why do they call it a high rise?  A misnomer as I survey the intake runner
height and design; probably called it a "high rise" because they raised the
carb mounting pad.

I used the Weiand single four manifold on my first dyno run w/ the Poly
stroker motor; easy 405HP (low ball number); but I had all the other "stuff"
to make the manifold work.  Are there a better manifolds?  Yes.  The second
dyno tests will compare/contrast the Weiand single four with the Weiand dual
quad.

The Weiand alum. dual quad WPD4D is also a single plane and the same design
as the factory dual quad but it dramatically increases the HP over the
single four because of the improved fuel distribution & multiple carbs (more
cfm); the venturis are very close to feeding each intake port directly.
However, the dual quad will require a larger cam (264/.450 & up), w/headers,
and low rear end gears to reach optimum performance and will outperform the
OEM dual plane single four barrel.  The Weiand alum. dual quad is the
ultimate performance piece at this time for the Poly motor.  It will serve
street duty fine and be a killer at the track.

Additionally, there is the Weiand three deuce intake WPD3D; same single
plane design but with square carb mounting pad for later model four bolt
flange carbs.

Lastly, the Edelbrock P600 three deuce intake is an excellent manifold
because it is a very nice dual plane multiple carb manifold.  It will
outperform the single four if set up properly and retain the torque and
throttle response most street cruisers are looking for with the WOW-factor
of multiple carbs.  Most P600's are built for the old style three-bolt
Stromberg and Holley 97 carbs which limits the cfm and raises the cost of
induction.
However, there are a few of the later production square flange four-hole
Edelbrock P600 manifolds around; these will accept the later style
two-barrel carbs (Rochester and even the Holley six-packs).

Bottom line, use the OEM dual plane four barrel when available for a single
carb application.
The Weiand single plane four barrel will suffice when a larger cam, headers,
and lower rear end gears (3.55, 3.73 and preferably 3.91's) are used.
Optimum performance with higher HP potential is achieved with the OEM cast
iron dual quad or the  Weiand alum. dual quad WPD4D which is king (in my
opinion) of the performance intakes made for this motor.

The Edelbrock P600 three deuce (dual plane) is a great performer but like
any multiple carb setup, you pay more for the carbs but when they are set up
properly, it is a wild ride w/eye appeal.

I have pictures available of all these intakes if anyone is interested.
Also have a Weiand alum. dual quad and one Edelbrock P600 that accepts the
late model carbs for sale.

Take care,
Gary Pavlovich