Re: lockstrip replacement

Having learned by trial and error a few times, here's my procedure for doing this.  First get one or two nylon window service sticks like this one:   http://tinyurl.com/cgljtg8
  I actually got a couple free used ones from a glass shop just by asking if they had any for sale.  Then, naturally, for a pre-'68 A body remove the old lock strip, for a '68 and later, remove the trim and "unlock" the integral locking strip.  You can use the nylon sticks and maybe a little soapy water for this.  Then use the nylon sticks to zip all around the weatherstrip both inside and out, to free up the glass from sticking to the rubber.  This is critical, especially if there is any sealant down in there.  Now, put on a pair of rubber sole shoes (I use old running shoes), and a pair of safety glasses, and climb into the middle of the seat, easy enough for the front, tougher contortion for the rear.  Begin pressing with feet at the upper outer corners of the glass, just enough to move the glass a bit, and gradually work your way into the center.  Then go back to the corners and work your way down the sides.  Start over doing the same thing but pushing a little harder as the glass moves more freely.  I generally take about 3 to 4 trips around the glass with my feet, and it is ready to pop right out.  I'm sure a pro shop has quicker techniques but this does work every time. It isn't necessary to push at the bottom.  When the top and down the sides are loose enough, push on out to freedom.  Climb out of the car and pull the top of the glass on out, it will pivot at the bottom so that the bottom edge is also freed from the rubber as you go.  Then hopefully with a helper you can lift the glass completely free.  And yes, it does go back in with a reverse of the technique, using soapy water.  Much easier to put back in because it isn't sticking to the rubber.  Put in the bottom edge first and work up the sides and across the top to the middle, using the nylon sticks to work the rubber over the edge of the glass.  Helps to have someone else on the other side of the car, otherwise you'll need to climb up on the hood (naturally protecting the paint) to get it to pop on in there at the top edge.  When it seats it will pop right down into place.

I'm sure that a pro would know some better way.  But I've gotten to the point where I can do this every time without breakage and have done quite a few using my technique and little nylon sticks.

The last time I had a pro do one, he came out while I was at work and just cut the weatherstrip apart on our '69 Barracuda front and rear, charging me $80 for such an idiot move. At that time, there wasn't a repro of the rear one.  I pointed out to the idiot that I could have done that myself for free, I wanted a pro to do it to save the weatherstrip.  I decide right then that I could do this, and went from there.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana, harboring of bunch of old and newer Mopars