From: Dave64 <lt7dave@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Brake Light Switch (was Electrical question)
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks,

That's what I thought.  Steve - The pad at the end of the pushbutton is plastic - the same as the pushbutton.  The misalignment isn't a surprise as the car took a hit in the driver's front at some point.  I see evidence of that in the dash.  It's kind of amazing that I had brake lights most of the time up until now.

Gary - what you're seeing is grease, not brake fluid.  There's grease with an exposed spring on the end of the MC rod at the inside of the firewall.

I'll have to crawl under there and see how I can get things lined up again.  At first glance, I didn't see anything obvious.  I thought maybe bending the mounting bracket would work, but I'm not sure that's the right answer.  It's a nice bit of acrobatics to lay under there and work on it.  I sit in my driver's seat like Mork from Ork - with my legs up over the back of the seat and my shoulders on the floor.  This is a trick that I'm able to do with my new hip - something that wouldn't have been possible a year ago.

Dave
'64 Belvedere 2DHT
318 Poly, Push Button Auto
Originally Florida A/C Car