no everse?Low reverse band.

Low reverse band  shpuld be checked  for adjustment andsevere wear.
In all forward gears it is not necessary and is actually only applied for Low when in 1 or first position . In drive position low gear the sprag does all the work and the band is not used. In low it is used as an add on for severe strain But in reverse it must function or there willl be no reverse.
In reverse we have  he High or direct clutch applied and the low reverse band. Since you say he has high gear or third That ,means the high clutch or direct clutch is working fine so that leaces only the Low reverse clutch not working.  Either to loose. Borken.,apply piston dropped out of the bore. (Broken snap or apply piston retaining ring. )
This would be normal diagnosis providing it isnt something wierd which it almost never is.
If I havent i can do a quick check chart for the group that is great for certain diagnosis as opposed to guessing. It will completely remove the mystery from transmissions
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)