RE: Trans pushbutton units

Robert, After reading your post I think I remember mine being the same
way.  One cable removeable with a hairpin, the other with the end
permanently fixed in the lever arm.  However, isn't the easily
removeable one the one that controls the shifting and the other the
parking pawl?  Anyway it's always a bit dicey trying to pry open the
crimped connection.  You always run the risk of one side of the crimp
breaking off.  Then you have an interesting fix staring you in the face.
 I have an extra pushbutton shift unit outside in the garage.  When it
warms up a bit later in the day (currently -16 degrees C. after a low
last nite of -22 degrees C.) and I get around a little more I'll go
check it.
One other thing I have an article in the March '05 issue of Muscle Car
Enthusiast about a guy who races a '63 Sport Fury Max Wedge which talks
about the pushbutton being a slick setup for drag racing.  Which is true
because you wouldn't necessarily need a reverse pattern shift kit for
the transmission as there is no danger of moving the lever too far and
going into the wrong gear or going to neutral.  I checked their website
for archives but didn't find any.  If you like I could scan the article
and send it to you off list.  My first two cars back in the 60's were
both push button shift, a '59 & a '61 Plym. But I remember them shifting
more easily.

Paul L.
63 Sport Fury
440/727