thermos quads and cam rpm

[AD removed for archives]
Get up to $1500.00 Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! No Paper Hassles! Nothing To Fax!
Apply Online and We'll Contact You Within the Hour!
caadVJ0bOyW3Na/911PaydayAdvance

Well thermo quads were greeat in thier day and were a huge improvement over the AVS BUT a good Holley will hammer the doors of themno matter what. They are a very complicaated carb . I beleive they have something like 131 parts inside. are prone to float  sinking so always replace them . Last time I looked no strip kits were available.
I used to do a lot f them and once had a fellow drive from florida to have me fix one he couldnt getrepaird properly there so i am very familiar. Wager is a great fan of them and alwys trys them on every motor but the old Holly will beat them everytime.
Why? well because they are an emmision oriented carb. That is why they were made and despite the huge CFM that design  and fuel curve ire inherit to each other. That is not to say thaey are bad. because they arent and they do make a nice working carb on a 340 etc but my experience at least hs been that a good  holley well set up will always be fast at the track no matter what you try. We even have a carter competition thermoquad we have used butresults are always the same.

Cam RPM
Duration controls RPM  lift doesnt rteally enter into it. so for a hydraulic in a typical BB Mopar every degree of duration at .050" gives 25.34 rpm
so if you have 231 @ .050" you should exect 5853. 54 RPm peak when all is right. I would change that to around 5800 Rpm but it gives you a way to predict it that works.
For a solid with 231 @ .050 you can expect a bit less as a solid gives 23.54 rpm for every degree at .050" so it would  be  5437.74 or 5400rpm.
YEs friends a solid gives less rpm for the same duration than  hydraulic but it can run higher rpm so once you approach 7000  area it becaomes the cam of choice. below that you ar just kidding yourself however sometimes untill recently we had no chioce because really serious grinds were not out there other than my old froend Racer brown and of course cheater stocker hyd grinds. Nowaday there are many real good choices.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

[AD removed for archives]
Get $1000.00 Overnight! Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! Many Lenders are 100% Paperless!
Let The Wizard Find the right Lender for you!
caadVJ5bOyW3Nf/911PaydayAdvance

----

bOyW3N.