To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 2:29 PM
Subject: RE: Tuning issues

[AD removed for archives] ------------------------------------------------------------------- Click Here for the #1 Investigative tool on the Net! caadlCpb3n3t4a/Web Detective -------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already learned as much about carbs just today as I already knew!
Thanks guys.
Jeff
Brian Schlump wrote:

I've used the Mopar 509 cam on 2 different engines: '69 - 413 low compression engine, and '64 Max Wedge. Both engines run 4 speed transmissions. My friend has the 509 in his 383 Magnum engine with Edlebrock aluminum heads & a 4 speed. He runs a Holley carb and typically runs 5 - 6 inches of manifold vacuum. My cars have run anywhere from 5.5 - 7 inches.

I used to run the 484 Mopar cam in a 440 GTX and I had to drill a 1/16"
hole in the front throttle plates of the Holley carb to close the
throttle plates past the part throttle slot.  This allowed me to get a
better idle mixture screw adjustment (which might be part of your
problem).

When I put the 509 cam in my 426 last year, I was having similar
problems adjusting the Carter carbs at idle. Another problem was that
the engine was idling at 1,500 rpm while I was driving it, even though I

would adjust it for 1,000 rpm in the driveway.    Don D. helped me with
the idle problems by suggesting that I drill a hole in the front
throttle plates on those carbs, just as I had on the Holley.  I used the

1/16" drill on those, and then the idle mixture screws did what they
were suppose to do, and I had no more of the fast idle while driving.

'64 Belvedere Woodstock, IL.

Jeff Adams 64 Polara

[AD removed for archives]
Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get.
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
caadlRMb3n3t4f/DiscoverCard

----

[AD removed for archives]