RE: Cyl. Head questions/Follow up post.....

RE: Cyl. Head questions/Follow up post.....

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
caab8K7b7yoMza/ College Info

Gary H. wrote:

> I've read numerous times over the years that heads that were run with
> leaded gas in their history have naturally built up protection from the
> lead deposits that had built up on the valve seal area over time. As
> Dave C. pointed out, just a little of that lead goes a long way in
> protecting the valves!
>
> I've also read that running unleaded it would take *lots and lots* of
> prolonged extreme high rpm use to cause a problem, not driver style use.

I've faced problems apparently due to the unleaded gas (it's my best
guess at least). My 1964 Fury had a new short block (is that the correct
description?; I mean everything new below the heads)318 polyhead
installed 1983 (the last the Finnish dealer had). After 40000 miles or
so a cylinder was missing pressure due to a leaking valve.

By the way, a new engine is  already assembled, and the plan is that I
and my car meachanic will start assembling the car early June. The heads
have now hardened valve seats!

Pekka Pere
Fury 64
Valiant 65
Finland

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
caab8Ldb7yoMzf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

----

b7yoMz.