Re: {Chrysler 300} Sending Unit - 1956 300B

Re: {Chrysler 300} Sending Unit - 1956 300B

most mopar senders you can buy today   are for thermal gauges ; the 56 I assume us like 57 ? - it is a gauge with magnetic coils . Thermal ohms  range is wrong
The thermal senders are ( for mopar ) about 10 ohms full and 80-90 ohms empty .
Those senders supplied , particularly by Vans , and others often have incorrect arm length resulting in reading E with 8 gallons in the tank, the float  does not hit bottom of tank and  rate of change will be wrong  too  ; not your problem necessarily but information . I got into this on a 57 i do not remember ohms range but believe it is higher ohms at E than a thermal sender . Someone with a 56-58 ( maybe 59?) sender can measure the max ohms exactly . Do you have the  old one ?
When you say toast , as long as wire coil is intact it can be saved . Do not increase force or mess with  / bend  the little brush , if you  do it will tear up the  resistance wire winding .
Ford dealer has the brass tanks .

There is a product on Amazon , a kit you make your own sender , it may  need mechanical adaption to the 56
tank closure disc . Cut off old one , use screws to mount the kit one inside tank to stub of old one . It is built at top for a ring of screw fasteners , most mopar have a lock ring .
Follow instruction exactly , pivot on this one must be in middle of tank ( they tell you the  measurements ) . I first tried to duplicate the  Chrysler one , with bent arm , offset pivot etc — Bad mistake .Turned kit to junk .( you cut stuff )
Well made thing maybe 20$ , but you will need  to match ohms . Mine was for thermal gauge ( 10-90 )
key fact : Arm is kept straight moves equally up and down on new pivot in middle of tank depth .
Formula tells you how long to
make arm .
Sorry for not having brand etc on call in head .. A year back , kit worked  great . I bought 3 more , having wasted  days on this  issue,,replacements thst are all wrong
hope the info helps you ,
Jg