{Chrysler 300} cooling - 300K

Well,

It turns out that it was not the temperature sending unit on my 300K that was causing the gauge to read low. Nor was it the voltage limiter or the gauge. I had some 7 Ohm resisters around, so I made some up to get to 21 Ohms which is what the water temperature gauge is supposed to be in the middle or 180F position.  When I hooked it up the gauge went to about 12 O’clock or the middle of the dial. I figured the sender and the gauge is good.

The 18-month-old thermostat failed. It was one of those units that fails open. That is the only good thing.

So, for the second time in 10 days, I had to pull the A/C compress up and out of the way to get to the thermostat housing area. What a PITA Chrysler did in having the thermostat and the sender buried under the compressor. At lease all the bolts are new and have anti seize on them, so everything comes apart nice.

I guess I am going to have to make up a get the compressor off kit with the tolls in a small box with a sender and thermostat to carry in the car in the event one fails again on the road.  Including one of those large bolts to get the pulley and clutch off. I have found it is better to pull the clutch and pulley and take the compressor off the brackets rather than try to pull the compressor with the brackets.

I may change the three small bolts that hold the coil to the compressor to hex head so one is less likely to drop them. A hex socket would also go into my little kit for the road.

I hate having to redo work due to crap parts.

James.

---