Re: FW: RE: Re[2]: {Chrysler 300} 300F Backfire thoughts?

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a response suggesting the possibility of a defective plug wire.  The possibility exists that defective wires can result in short circuit of spark to a nearby plugwire due to defective insulation.  Also I have seen a case where a badly damaged wire resulted in a spark jump to a nearby wire that had no easily detected defect. I don't think that induction effect  crossfire is likely with radio suppression wires.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: dplotkin <dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: RE: Re[2]: {Chrysler 300} 300F Backfire thoughts?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 07:37:05 -0400

-------- Original message --------
From: dplotkin <dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 8/1/24 7:32 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Carl Bilter <cbilter@xxxxxxxxx>, Lindsey Fuller <Lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Bob Meritt <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jean-Yves Chouinard <jymopar@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Marino <jpm0855@xxxxxxxxx>, chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Re[2]: {Chrysler 300} 300F Backfire thoughts?

Carl, I have direct experience with the failure mode I described, backfires through exhaust from errant sparks. Seen this many times. The conventional wisdom that electronics work, all or nothing, is untrue.

The last Pertronix failure I witnessed was in front of me last summer, a friends 69 Camaro with new Pertronix popped and sputtered trying to climb a slight grade. Pertronix replaced it free.

To be fair the installation error often made is supplying battery to the unit in series with the ballast. It is important to follow instructions supplied.

Last,  while I refuse to use them, I'd sooner run Chrysler electronic ignition,  I highly recommend you keep a set of points, a condenser and the screws with you in the car.