{Chrysler 300} HELP! Need front brake backing plate for 1957 300C

{Chrysler 300} HELP! Need front brake backing plate for 1957 300C

Hello All -

Following an extensive restoration of virtually every system on my late father's 1957 Chrysler 300C convertible, I have endured five maddening years of the right front brake dragging, pulling, and sometimes even locking up hard enough to stop the wheel from turning!  I've replaced wheel cylinders, shoes and return springs to no avail.   Last month the RF brake locked up hard enough to skid the tire at 5 mph in a parking lot, and I only could get it unlocked by backing up a few feet, but then it would either drag hard or lock up again as soon as I went forward.   I was lucky to nurse it a few miles back home, where I had to again skid the jammed RF wheel 20 feet into the garage.   I won't dare drive it again until I get it fixed for good!  Everything looks OK when I pull off the drum (although the lining on the trailing shoe is worn down to 1/8" after less than 1000 miles on the restoration - that's how bad the RF brake has been dragging all this time!   With nothing obviously wrong, I just didn't know where to go from here.

Just today I came across a very old article from George Riehl that described my symptoms exactly and diagnosed that one of the long, square-section springs within the backing plate had broken, and the only fix is to get another complete centerplane backing plate - suggesting that one from a 1957 New Yorker or perhaps even a '57 Dodge or DeSoto would work (must specify for 12" brakes).   This is the link to that article:   FRONT BRAKE BACKING PLATES with 12" brakes (ch300imp.com)     That article includes photos of the backing plate I need.

My problem is that I don't know exactly the terminology for what I need and don't know the best places to start looking for such an old part.  I can provide a photo of the backing plate I (think) I need, but can't post it with this message on the listserver.

Can anyone please help me clarify exactly what to ask for and perhaps even more importantly, who/where might be the best place to start looking?

Ray Melton  Las Cruces, NM 1957 Chrysler 300C cvt      s/n 3N572517 (April 1957)     (575)642-3151

---