RE: {Chrysler 300} A/C and fresh air

Steve,

That is interesting. I just spent months rebuilding my compressor from the inside out. I purchased all new NOS parts. I replaced that tough to get to rear crankshaft busing, I ordered a brush from brush research and put a proper cross hatch on the bores, I made sure I used a steel ball in place of the plastic one in the oil pressure gallery with an NOS spring. All new everything except the block and head. New reed valves.  Just everything. All bolts properly torqued and the like.

I ran the compressor on the bench for 10 to 15 minutes. I then drained the oil to get any break in crap out. I refilled it and put it in the car.

I have had the system charged yet.

When I pushed the button and locked the clutch, I was waiting for the engine RPM to drop and for the RV2 vibration to kick in. Nothing. It is spinning and I can see the air-oil flying by the clear tube I have in place of the dryer until it is charged.

Now it is possible that without the R12 it is smoother. It could also be that a “proper” rebuild as opposed to the crap that come out of the repair shops for decades makes for a smoother unit.

I did A/C on my other ’64 300’s decades ago and they were all auto part store units.  They worked by they did drag down the RPM and you could feel them at idle.

It will be interesting to see how it feels and works once I get it charged.

James