From: John <spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2024 09:29
To: James Douglas <jdd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} A/C and fresh air

James & all,

I can't find this detail in my 1964 owner's manual, but I believe your planned wiring project is already built in to the car's operation - if you have the a/c on (button depressed as normal) and you pull it out, the fan remains on, but the compressor turns off.

Try it!

Happy 4th to all.

John in Florida

On Thu, Jul 4, 2024 at 11:50 AM, 'James Douglas' via Chrysler 300 Club International

One of the things I do not like that Chrysler did starting in 1959 was the new heater – A/C design. If one wants cowl air in these cars without the compressor running --- one cannot get it.

When you press the Fresh Cool button, the vacuum switches close the recirculating door and open the cowl door. But it also turns on the A/C Compressor.

I was thinking of putting in a switch someplace in the cockpit and run the compressor wire (Electromagnet lead) through it and back to the compressor lead. That way I can open the circuit and then press the Fresh Cool and just move air from the cowl into the cockpit.

Anyone ever do this or something like it?

Sometimes it is nice to get fresh air without heat or A/C on and still have the windows closed.

Happy 4th to everyone.

James

PS. On my ’47 Desoto I can manually open the cowl air and/or send it through the heater cores. I can also have it closed and have the twin heater cores pull all air (recirculating) from the cockpit.  On the ’49 they moved the heater core to the front of the engine bay up against the radiator support. You only choice is fresh heat. No recirculating heat. Not a good system.  It seems like they could never come up with a standardized methodology on the heating and A/C. I think those decisions were slaves to other considerations.

---

---