RE: Re[2]: {Chrysler 300} Brake master cylinders for 56-61 Chryslers - h

RE: Re[2]: {Chrysler 300} Brake master cylinders for 56-61 Chryslers - heads up

The author describes himself as an engineering supervisor. I have no idea if he is a chemical or any other type of engineer. What he wrote has been written by many before him. Nothing he wrote sheds new light except for those unfamiliar with this matter. I’ve had Dot 5 in my 61 Plymouth since 2007 and in my 65 Corvette since 2012. My opinion is that there is no good reason whatsoever to use anything but Dot 5 in an occasionally driven mostly stored antique automobile. You will find this subject as divisive as religion, politics, oil type, weight & frequency of change, points vs. Pertronix and a host of others. There will always be those who claim to know better!

Danny Plotkin

From: 'James Douglas' via Chrysler 300 Club International [mailto:chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2024 11:08 AM
To: Dan Plotkin <dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Chrysler list server' <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: {Chrysler 300} Brake master cylinders for 56-61 Chryslers - heads up

Dan,

I am one of the first people to sniff out then businesses are just covering their ass or trying to plan in obsolescence to sell more product…

That said, are you saying that what the man in the article who proports to be a brake engineer is talking BS?

I know several people who are using DOT 5 without any known issues, and I know people that have had all kinds of issues.

I think one of the problems is a lack of control over the many variables involved.

If I was starting with a system from scratch that never had a drop of any fluid in it, I may think about using DOT 5. But with older parts and lines and the ability to properly clean everything of on those cars if some wants to run DOT 5 I feel that sticking with non-silicon is a better idea.

If you flush your system every 5 years with fresh fluid, then non silicone should work just as well.  If one is pushing the temperature limits, then there are other problems that should be addressed.

James