Re: {Chrysler 300} 1959 Chrysler 300 E Speedometer Cable Noise

Re: {Chrysler 300} 1959 Chrysler 300 E Speedometer Cable Noise

FYI on speedo:
i agree with Ron however the graphite dust is still  in the housing , -if you think about it -so the solvent that carried it is what has evaporated .
Thinking about that , I have been hanging them vertically , intact , inner core in or out  ( depending how badly stuck ) and dripping mobil one 10 weight in  till it comes out the bottom . Synthetic oil is extremely stable and slippery .  More graphite in a WD 40 like solvent will do the same thing the first one did .  It has been perfect over 150 k in one car I did this to . I personally think graphite etc is a story , contributes to stick / slip which causes needle jump . It does often jump , stock -right ?

Same lube process is very good for E brake cable and shift cable too .

Sometimes ( not here on this E  ) it sticks so bad , usually at that speedo input bushing that the core snaps . kits can fix that core with new core  follow instruction exactly on crimping new end .. but bushing HAS to be free .

related and important —they lubed the internal odometer gearing which is plastic with that damn white lube that turns  to a yellow solid ( same stuff that strips the power window gears) , so forcing the input piece in the bushing can strip the odometer drive gear  . been there . You get speedo back but no odometer . If really stuck you have to clean and rebuild inside of speedo ,free those gears and bushing  relube with heavy oil 75w mobil one or wheel bearing grease    . very fragile  stuff in there , does not come apart over the odo gears , but you can get at them .
Never use lubriplate on anything .
The speed needle parts , springs etc from a 120 mph speedo do not work , 150 very rare .easy to hurt accidentally , cup is really  fragile , if you touch it accidentally picking the thing up  ,   it bends on its mount arrgh Almost impossible to get on center again
Despite many tries I have never been successful at fixing needle mount or suspension  springs — same issues happen with F tach , a small bearing holding the needle and magnet cup wears out, cup hits magnet  — Have to send to
pro . But freeing input bushing with oil and sometimes odo gears is all it needs 80% of time . Other parts ok if you don’t bend anything .
John g
Sent from my iPhone not by choice