Re: {Chrysler 300} 57 torqueflight rebuild

Cannot agree more with John. You must use the shop manual regimen for throttle linkage adjustments and throttle valve adjustment and the procedure is what it is because it is interrelated. It is also rudimentary as such linkages go and as such must be set up right. All automatic transmission diagnosis should start with fluid level and throttle valve rod adjustments.

-----Original Message-----
From: "John Grady" <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 8:38pm
To: "Cox Mail" <scooter465@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Henry A. Mitchell III" <hamlll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "D.C. Mason" <petergriffinforpresident@xxxxxxxxx>, "dplotkin" <dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gary Gettleman" <gary.gettleman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Chrysler 300 Club International" <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} 57 torqueflight rebuild

yes — but if pedal angle  not right  , just setting it that way alone can be all wrong , It can limit wot or not move enough or fast enough toward WOT . Or carb plate movement is not synced right to trans pressure .  people have often messed with say one adjustment only , —- often , —- over the life of the car before you  so it can be way out  . Three adjustments DO all interact right?
They had so much trouble with this , in 60 they made those holes in firewall bell crank that you lock bell crank with a rod so you know where you are at start . Earlier linkages are a lot more complex than it looks to really get right . I got into this while making a new gas pedal repair pivot of stainless and aluminum to fix the usual rust mess , wobbly pedal at floor    ( Forward Look parts )
I think i noticed by comparing F to earlier that one arm is  level  or almost so at bell crank at zero , meant as observed info not instruction .
Ram setup section has good overall linkage info too .
Remember it is NOT linear movement , the arms are all at angles  . We should be just using the book exactly , ( really!) although some years are way better than others on this   . Some much too brief .
You really have to do it in exact sequence of FSM or you can screw it all up  , been there and very frustrated at times  , despite years of working on this . Average mechanic uses his own ideas , not the book .
forget that . start over.

Sent from my iPhone not by choice