Re: [Chrysler300] Axle seals

You have to pack bearing
Prior to installation.
The inner seal is there to
Keep rear end oil from
Washing grease out of bearings. That was always
The weak point of the
83/4 rear. Inner seal would
Fail and rear end oil would
Wash grease out of bearing
And it would start making
Noise.

Bob Haag

On Sep 10, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Ronald Kurtz mark6268@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, everyone:

I'm setting up parts to reinstall the rear axles on my '59 E. I noticed in the parts manual there are inner and outer seals. I remember cataloguing only the outer seal (CR-15200) when I pulled the axles a couple of years ago. Questions:

If the seal is placed behind the bearing, is the bearing packed with grease by hand before installing?

P/N is 1673-373. Is an after market replacement available?

CR-15200 is virtually non-existent. No luck on E-Bay or similar sites. I do have a couple of outer oil seals from a '64 (P/N 2070788) that have the same dimensions, matching them together, but the seals themselves are of different configurations. Any precautions?

Best,
Ron Kurtz
E #292

Posted by: Cox <scooter465@xxxxxxx>