Re: [Chrysler300] age of ownership

There is no better thrill than to unleash the power of a 300 letter car !  By all means every owner this is required !

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 10:00:24 AM EST, John Kuegel jwkco@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I finally bought a '61G when I was at the young age of 33 in 1997.....to finally own a letter car! ...had to let a rough driver slip out of my grasp several years earlier- just didn't have the asking price ...I've always had Mopars up until then, mostly Plymouths- and still have a few, including a '57 Fury...the previous owner let me pay it off like on a layaway...but I was a bit delusional...when I finally took it home, the motor was seized, rams in the trunk covering the holes, windshield smashed, paint was sun burnt, all rubber and plastic crispy, interior shot, and tach glass smashed and the weather got into it. Not that I hadn't before, nor couldn't then, tackle such a project, but I wanted an immediate driver!

There is a silver lining. A good friend helped me sell it without any loss of investment(it went to Sweden) to fund a running, driving, survivor '60F, which I still have. After minor engine work and enough brake work to give me a small sense of safety, I did have the needle on the F up to just below 99mph...just couldn't bring myself to lay into it any more. The governor (in my brain) kicked in.

Probably is due to the little voice telling me to remember all those years ago, back in college when I had a '59 Fury with a 318 and I put 2- wcfb's on it, but never refreshed the bottom end....took that up to 112mph in Vermont on Rt. 7- only car on the road...me and my buddy Sam....had the hood off to hear the 8 cylinders purring...well, it didn't take too long for catastrophic failure.. Bang, then smoke then clunk, clunk, clunk, etc... Tore the wrist pin out of piston #6...the disconnected rod flailed around - cracked the casting web leading to coolant leakage into the pan. Limped back to base at 35mph- any slower was rock crusher vibration, with antifreeze from the breather blowing onto the windshield. In the parking lot of the house where I Iived, I jacked up the motor off of the mounts enough to drop the pan down. I stuck my hand in and grabbed 3 handfuls of pulverized aluminum & steel bits...Thank heaven, I was able to get the cap off and was able to remove the L- shaped, bent rod from the crank. The beating that it took in the crankcase loosened the cap nuts. I put it all back together, pulled #6 plug wire off and drove that car on 7 cylinders, power braking at stops, so she wouldn't stall, over 250 miles home....must have drained a gallon of antifreeze out of the oil pan...green froth coming out of the breather.

I know the F would be in it's glory at 100 and beyond...the engine and trans are tight and do as they should, but I just can't bring myself to do it!

John Kuegel

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 3:41 PM, Brian and Kathy Frank 300gforce@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]