RE: [Chrysler300] Questions about understanding advance in 57 WCFB . ..

RE: [Chrysler300] Questions about understanding advance in 57 WCFB . .. and WCFB itself . Spark porting ...

Hi John

All the “special” settings for the 300C are covered in the Chrysler Corporation Service Bulletin No.1002-CH March 1 1957.  It goes into detail about distributor and carburettor settings.

Timing is set by getting a smooth idle at 650 rpm, disconnecting vacuum advance, set ignition to 4 degrees BTDC and resetting idle to 650 rpm.

I had a look at my rear carb which is off the car.  The primary throttle valves are stamped 15 degrees opposed to the secondaries stamped 10 degrees.  When closed, the vacuum port always has vacuum because this port can’t be closed with the 15 degree valve.  Idle speed is set with the by-pass air screws, not the throttle valve.  From this I assume Chrysler wanted vacuum advance at idle since the idle speed is significantly higher than standard cars.  Those would probably get a vacuum signal at 650 rpm from the throttle valve opening so there is nothing really different happening here.  Never set idle timing with vacuum line connected to distributor unless specifically instructed.

300D carbs don’t use by-pass air screws to set the idle but use the front carb primary to bleed idle air.  This wouldn’t affect the rear carb’s vacuum signal to the distributor.  300D’s are set at 6 degrees BTDC.

There is another Chrysler bulletin about converting 300C carbs to 300D specs if customers complain about hesitation and stumble but it involves a fair amount of careful modifications and parts.  My car came to me with unmodified carbs and it had gone round the clock twice so it can’t have been a consistent problem.

Despite your carbs being rebuilt by pros, did they use the above bulletins to set them up?  Can’t use the FSM for this.  Incorrect float level (and many other carbs issues) could also give stumbling problems, probably more than timing, and would be something I would double check.  May be as simple as a vacuum leak at the manifold...

I could scan the bulletin for you if you want.  I forgot where I got it from.  Probably on the net somewhere.

Regards

Henry