RE: [Chrysler300] 300 H ignition and trunk key availability.

RE: [Chrysler300] 300 H ignition and trunk key availability.

Most locksmiths will have generic key blanks that will work.   I always try to find OEM blanks with the proper head shape and logo on them and pay the locksmith to cut the keys,  A big locksmith may even have the proper blanks.  Ask them NOT to stamp their shop name on the new cut keys.  If your old keys are worn, the locksmith may want to give the new keys a little extra wire brushing on the highs and lows.  A quick glance indicates the proper keys are for 1959-1965 Mopar’s and may be a little more scarce than later keys. I also see “MoPar” logo keys that are not.

The locks are set up so the brass key wears faster than the pins and groves in the lock.  Still, once every 50 years or so, it is a good idea to have the locksmith clean and lube the lock cylinder.  The ignition switch has a in release in the bezel threads that enables the cylinder to be removed for a quick trip to the locksmith for new keys and a rinse and lube.  Shop around for a good price.  There appear to be ripoffs and knockoffs out there if you are looking for OEM appearance keys.

This looks like the real deal to me:

  https://picclick.com/1959-1965-MOPAR-PENTASTAR-KEY-Blank-SET-Chrysler-Dodge-222571951033.html

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA  (heating up and a little shaky—the weather, too)