Re: [Chrysler300] Tedius task of detailed sanding

Re: [Chrysler300] Tedius task of detailed sanding

I am not a professional, but I have painted a few
cars over the years.  I have always stopped at
around 640 wet sanding grit for the final
coats.  If you are going to clear coat, don't
sand the final base coat at all.  I do recommend
a seal coat after primer, especially if you are
not going down to bare metal.  There could be a
reaction between modern solvents and those of the 60s.

Bill Huff

At 02:01 PM 6/12/2019, Ryan Hill ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] wrote:

>When I restored my '65 300 years ago I had the
>entire car apart, including every nut, bolt, and
>wire from the dash board. (it was out of the
>car) It was scratched and weathered and turned
>out looking great in a very factory way. Some
>things to remember, just in case you haven't already thought of it.
>
>    * It isn't uncommon for people to use
> excessive amounts of cleaners and 'protectants'
> on their interiors. Even before you begin
> sanding, you should use some wax removers / metal preps
>    * Although it is important to eliminate
> sanding scratches before paint, I think 1500 is
> far too smooth. From my experience, you
> wouldn't want to go finer than 800 - 1000 if
> you want the paint to bite. Perhaps there are
> some pro painters that could weigh in on that?
>    * I used a gloss black urethane but added a
> flattening agent to get the right sheen. Full
> gloss or semi-gloss wouldn't look stock, if
> that's what you're going for. I did several
> spray out's on test material before I began
> prepping my dash to get the sheen right. I'm
> sorry, I don't remember the ratio I settled on.
>    * I'm not that familiar with '63 / '64 but
> it sounds like you're painting everything below
> center. If you are planning to spray all of
> that lower dash while still in the car,
> depending on what you're spraying with and at
> what pressure, you will have overspray in all
> kinds of places you didn't expect. Consider
> removing it if you're trying for perfection.
>
>Ryan Hill
>

>----------
>From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
><Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Dave
>Dumais dave.dumais@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
><Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Sent: June 12, 2019 9:28 AM
>To: Chrysler 300 List
>Cc: YoMaMo1950 .
>Subject: [Chrysler300] Tedius task of detailed sanding
>

>The lower half of dash was stripped of switches, map light and radio.
>
>All chrome knobs and such were cleaned and polished,
>
>The steering wheel is off and painters tape now accents the interior.
>Not to mention, buckets removed and mounts sanded & coated.
>
>All the scratches from 64 thru 2018 are meeting
>with 800 grit sandpaper.  Then p r press up to 1500 grit.
>
>Quite a tedious effort but thinking end product will be much more uniform.
>
>I think Satin black instead of high gloss.
>Any thoughts or confirmation would be well appreciated.
>All door panels out & stored until completed.
>
>Only a 300 nut would try for perfection!
>
>Best to All.
>
>Dave the Sandman...LOL...
>
><https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>Sent
>from Yahoo Mail on Android