RE: [Chrysler300] 300 H wire wheels

Additional points:

The original Motor Wheel brand wheels that were installed on ’55-’56 Chryslers and Imperials did not have logos on them.  Just a simulated knock-off hubcap.  The caps were being reproduced recently. Owners sometimes apply small Chrysler 300 medallions to the center.

The chrome plating process is likely to introduce elemental hydrogen into the steel-setting it up for cracking failure.  This problem can be at least partially solved by baking the wheels after plating.  This can drive out most of the free hydrogen before it does its damage.

A local wire-wheel repair shop told me it costs more to restore an old chrome wire-spoke wheel than it does to buy a new one.  Plated steel spokes are typically replaced with stainless-steel spokes.

Cleaning wire-spoke wheels to show condition consumes a lot of time,  Claims of spray-on wheel cleaner effectiveness are grossly overstated.

Personally, I loved them on our ’55 C-300—on later letter-cars-the newer the year, the less I like them.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA