RE: [Chrysler300] 62 300 brake issue, and disc conversions

RE: [Chrysler300] 62 300 brake issue, and disc conversions

Hi , I found some new information that may help on this not uncommon problem…low pedal on disc conversions , --Maybe not specific to Nigel’s issues , but important to know

I have several AAJ kits, (GM fronts)  installed in the past , no severe problems, after sorting out related issues with the car and things I did; Pedal never came out “perfect”, but safe and useable— = good braking, even if pedal travel a bit much. (Subjectively) . . . ------however I am having a bear of a  time getting a high enough firm pedal on the present car .

It now has 4 and 10lb residual pressure valves, (RPV) new (last week) a 1.125 corvette master , although I never felt the later mopar master provided by AAJ (their full kit) was the problem. Car has Manual brakes , it has correct Mopar manual pedal arm, and arm ratio . The Mopar master supplied in the AAJ kit however had no RPV valves in it at all  when taken out. . (I understood usually they are in it , for discs) ..but also was told many rebuilding shops toss them, “not needed” (!!) . Beware. Check with soft wire or toothpick before install , on discs . if no RPV , wire will pass right into bore of master. Valve will stop it. External valves probably better , you know what you have .Wilwood are aluminum, but after using those , found out someone else makes brass ones. Threads on adapters (brass ) to Wilwood aluminum threads not good engineering, IMHO< re leaks and worse.

Firewall on 57 can be redrilled for corvette two large bolt master ok. (Mopar are 4 smaller bolts )

We can SEE the front discs retracting maybe .030 (visual estimate) when you take your foot off, even with the new 4 psi RPV. (was a 2 psi) Pumping does not help--- discs just follow the pumping. GM front calipers  are used on the AAJ kit. By happenstance , searching,  I found out GM changed the caliper to a “low Drag” design about 82 -83 where the rubber seals are specially configured to pull the puck back from the disc. This was an attempt to improve gas mileage (?) I am told.(seems really trivial issue to me) ; discs are always knocked back a few thou+  anyway by rotor  runout, prior to that change. The problem is that rebuilders may throw all GM front calipers into a bin, --apparently, ---and you can get the wrong ones in the box .. I am suspect. The early ones , I think 79-80 Malibu era are not self pull back. What you want to have , I think . The differences are in machining the internal rubber ring grooves, maybe rubber too. That is not obvious to anyone looking at a GM caliper sitting there. All this from various Hot Rod builders. Sorry not more definitive.

You can see this on your car , apparently,  if after applying the brake you can slide like an .020 feeler in there. Mine move back  more than that (back into housing ) ;  looking at the math, the 2.5 “ GM puck is about 5 sq in, the 1.125 (corvette) master is about 1 sq in,(=5x)  so say .05 travel at puck is  .25 of master travel…and pedal is 6 x that , or 1.5” AFTER  taking up all the other slack . so ? 2” + of pedal gone….?? If a smaller diameter Mopar master this is all even worse.

So maybe we get the wrong caliper at times by accident ; GM fixed this issue when this rubber pull back came out by some kind of two step master (“stepped bore” ) that moved a lot of volume at low pressure (takes up slack) then smaller high pressure bore took over . (like a wood splitter) We do not have that. Probably do not want it either. TBD

None of this is meant as definitive stuff ---or “the answer” to fixing the problems at hand –not just yet, but important info along the road.

Not knowing this caliper pullback stuff is a road to going nuts, if it does what we think it does . All this is information to process , not a recommendation. Use your own ability,  sort out yourself…   I know power brakes are more suited to that big Corvette master. But I  want a good pedal. Even if I have to push harder. Will worry about that after I get solid brakes at ~ 1” down.

Comments or experience really welcomed…

Best,

John

PS, saw “big red” 62 H at Pa meet, I really checked that out. A proven 150 mph car was running stock manual brakes, stock Mopar single master , the right manual pedal arm . . Seemed to have worked fine. So only system level difference (effectively) is GM front discs. And discs take more fluid, even if not pulled back. .