RE: [Chrysler300] Coker tire and wire wheel balance

RE: [Chrysler300] Coker tire and wire wheel balance

It also pays to remember vibration can come from other areas.  After I bought my first car, I got a student vacation job in the coal mines in central Queensland which meant driving many miles at the 60 mph speed limit on lonely country roads.  The car (1971 Australian Valiant hardtop) would shake badly at 60 but was happy at 55 or 65 mph.  At the time the car had a different brand of tyre on each corner, but the tyres were not the problem.  Finally tracked the problem to a worn upper ball joint.  (Did eventually save up to buy a matching set of tyres after nearly sliding off the highway in the rain.)

I appreciate the problems people have encountered with tyres but it pays to make sure every other suspension component is right as well. For my experience, I have never had a tyre balance problem even with crappy tyres.  It has always been worn suspension parts that gave me grief.

On my 300C restoration I sourced 7 Australian Valiant 6.5” x 14” sports rims and had them sandblasted and power coated.  When mounting the American Classics we found a side to side wobble in one rim that you couldn’t pick from just looking at it static.  No obvious knocks or dents.  It has gone to scrap.

Cheers

Henry