Re: [Chrysler300] 300D gas tank question

Re: [Chrysler300] 300D gas tank question

That's exactly how it's supposed to happen, Tom. There is a seal ring, which seals the filler tube to the tank, and it probably stayed stuck in the female opening of the tank. Your filler tube can be released and removed from the body quarter panel now if you wish while you re-install the tank. And then the filler tube can be sent back down the hole and simply pushed back into the tank opening. This would be a good time to obtain a fresh seal so you don't develop a new leak there. Van's in Wisconsin will have one if you have trouble finding it.

BTW, if you do ever remove the filler tube, first make careful note of its rotational position. There is a long stamped metal "vent" welded to the inside of the filler tube, and that must be in the UP position to allow air out of the tank as it is being filled. Just a little tip on a simple thing that drove many of us nuts trying to figure out the filling problem after putting our cars back together.

Keith Boonstra
300C
-